LINGOs provides member agencies with three Learning Management System (LMS) alternatives. The correct LMS configuration for an agency will depend on a variety of factors, including cost, technical capacity, customization requirements, features/functionality, and reporting requirements.
LMS – Level 1: Agencies that are LINGOs Level 1 members receive access to a hosted LMS (IntraLearn) portal that is shared with other LINGOs Level 1 members. The Level 1 configuration provides agencies a very low-cost option to access a Learning Management System with LINGOs course content. One of the ways LINGOs is able to provide access to the LMS at this low cost is by sharing the portal between multiple Level 1 agencies. While the shared portal results in cost savings, it also means that there are some features that the Level 1 LMS is unable to provide, including the following:
- The look and feel of the Level 1 LMS portal is generic and cannot be branded with the logo of an organization or custom text for an organization.
- Level 1 members have less flexibility creating user hierarchies and creating LMS registrars and instructors.
- There are no semi-automated registration options with the Level 1 LMS portal.
LMS – Level 2: Agencies that are LINGOs Level 2 members receive access to a hosted LMS (IntraLearn) portal that is unique to their agency. The Level 2 configuration provides agencies a low-cost option to access a Learning Management System with LINGOs course content AND they have the flexibility to brand their portal with their own logo and text. Furthermore, the Level 2 configuration provides the agency more flexibility to create user hierarchies and to identify LMS registrars, instructors, and order managers as well as employ a semi-automated registration process.
Level 2 members have the ability to customize their portals. However, under no circumstances should LMS system files be modified (files of extension type .cfm, .asp, .aspx, .bat, .class, .dll, .dtd, .glo, .hhc, .hhk, .hhs, .ico, .inc, .ini, .jar, .js, .sql, and .xml). Modifying such files (a) breaks LINGOs' license agreement with IntraLearn Software Corporation which has generously donated their LMS product and support time to LINGOs; (b) makes LINGOs' job of supporting your organization more difficult and more expensive when codebases differ; (c) makes the process of LMS upgrades more cumbersome; and (d) your organization runs the risk of modified system files no longer functioning in a new version of the LMS. Should the aforementioned files be modified, LINGOs will have to replace the modified files with original files at a significant support cost to your organization.
SCORM Dispatch: The SCORM Dispatch product is designed to address the needs of any LINGOs member agency that desires a level of LMS functionality, customization, and/or systems integration that extends beyond the capacity of the standard IntraLearn LMS portal benefit that comes with LINGOs Level 2 membership. SCORM Dispatch allows agencies to configure, host and maintain their own SCORM-compliant LMS while continuing to have access to the LINGOS course catalogue. This arrangement would allow agencies to:
- Synchronize user data between an LMS and internal systems;
- Establish a single sign-on between an LMS and internal systems;
- Configure an LMS that generates custom reports;
- Create a system whereby LMS usage reports are e-mailed to targeted groups or available for download;
- Deploy an LMS with features that might not be available through IntraLearn;
- And more (click here for more information about SCORM Dispatch).